1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevin Spacey comes out as gay after allegation of sexual advance on 14 yr old

Discussion in 'V.I.P. Lounge' started by Carol Peletier, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Carol Peletier

Carol Peletier Look at the flowers... Staff Member Contributing Member

2. Screen Legend

Screen Legend Legendary

Sexual abuse/harassment/assault towards men [even with men/men I think?] is still kind of taboo, so I think it's good that Mr. Rapp was brave enough to come forward and speak out. :) However, since the news right now is on Kevin Spacey, I hope that it won't impede other men from coming forward and speaking out about their own trauma [regardless of whether it's men/men or men/women].

3. Carol Peletier

Spacey being gay was not a secret. Most ppl in the industry knew, & he even joked about it on an award show a few years back. He only did that to deflect from the revelation of his vile behavior toward Rapp when Rapp was only 14 years old. The fact that the coverage is now focusing on Spacey being gay rather than Rapp surviving his assault is very sad.

Also, For Spacey to think that his being gay is some kind of justification for what he did to Rapp is very intellectually dishonest. Gay does NOT equal pedophilia.

4. Clara Oswald

Clara Oswald Oswin! Staff Member Contributing Member

Yeah I didn't understand the logic behind coming out as gay, like that has anything to do with sexual assault. At first I thought it was a girl who had accused him and his defense was that he was gay. But then I was like, why is he even saying this?

5. Black Widow

Black Widow Valiant Valkyrie

I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here and suggest that maybe Kevin Spacey did the best he could to respond respectfully to these allegations though? We SHOULD keep in mind, by the way, that they are allegations, and from an incident that allegedly occurred over 30 years ago. Coming as a gay is merely a deflection and I assume that’s why he brought it up, but reading his actual statement, that wasn’t the first thing he said.

First Spacey said he respected Rapp, then he said he was horrified to hear about this, then he said he didn’t recall this ever happening, then he apologized just in case it did. Then came “also I like men and women and now I choose to be gay.” It came across to me as “ps I am gay”. Which, who gives a fuck?

If he DID make a pass at a 14 year old in 1986, shame on him, drunk or not, that’s inappropriate. But what if he didn’t?

I, by the way, have no particular attachment to Kevin Spacey. I’m just saying his response was about as acceptable as anyone can hope for in the situation.

Carol Peletier likes this.
  6. Clara Oswald

I agree with you, though I didn't like how he played it off as "oh I must have been drunk". Should have left that part out.

7. Black Widow

I don’t either, because I don’t like it when people try to act like or try to imply being drunk relieves them of responsibility for their actions.

Also, it’s worth noting Spacey would’ve been in his 20s at the time, and what the damn hell was a 14 year old doing at said party with adults?

8. Clara Oswald

I wondered that myself

9. Carol Peletier

26, by his own admission. & as for the 14 yr old being at a part w/ adults, well you know how it goes in the circles of hollywood, age is just a detail. Remember Drew Barrymore, Tatum O'Neal, "the two Coreys"? they as children (in Drew's case, VERY young) were partying down HARD w/ adults in hollywood. not that it should've been that way.

Black Widow likes this.
  10. Black Widow

See, that’s a recipe for all sorts of horrible shit to happen.

It doesn’t absolve people of their responsibility, but children should not be present at parties with adults. I don’t know about y’all, but in my 20’s I went to plenty of parties, and I never once even wondered if anyone there was underage. I went knowing that I was responsible for my own damn self, did my damndest to keep rohypnol out of my drink, and had myself a blasty-blast. I can’t imagine any other 20-something acting any different. And there’s been a time or two that my friends have told me stories I was a part of and don’t remember. I mean, I don’t ‘not remember’ anything truly terrible, but I had a close nit group of friends and there wasn’t ever anything more than young mischief happening.

But the horrible truth of the world is that there are plenty of people who’s stories start out the same as mine and then become something truly traumatic.

I’m not saying Rapp should ‘suck it up’ here, because IF that happened it was probably icky, but I kind of feel bad, not just for Spacey, but for everyone working on House of Cards — apparently production has been halted because of this. Did this news break because Rapp filed a civil suit and wants to hold Spacey accountable for it? Or did he just give this interview to someone at Buzzfeed? Either way it happened 30 years ago, so what did Rapp really expect to get from Spacey? If he wanted an apology it doesn’t seem like he needed to go public to get one. And this whole incident kind of cheapens the issue of sexual harassment/coercion/assault (notably Weinstein’s depravity, which also boils down to he said/she said, but there’s a chorus of victims that really lends weight to the allegations).

11. Screen Legend

Screen Legend Legendary

He probably did it because everybody else is/has been coming forward about their experiences in the #MeToo campaign, as well he should, since he had been a victim - and is now a survivor - as well. As I already said:

"Sexual abuse/harassment/assault towards men [even with men/men I think?] is still kind of taboo, so I think it's good that Mr. Rapp was brave enough to come forward and speak out."

Which leads me to ask: why is it okay for every woman in Hollywood to come forward about their own experiences, but when Anthony Rapp did it, his experience gets a second [third, fourth, etc] look? I don't understand. :(

12. Black Widow

Because, forgive me for sounding very callous here, but Rapp’s #MeToo comes across as an actual ‘oh me too’.

First of all, it’s deeply frustrating that this Weinstein bullshit has literally been going on for years. It was not a secret. As early as ‘98, Gwyneth Paltrow told Letterman that Weinstein ‘will coerce you to do a thing or two’, and there’s been public joking about it. As in, it was fully acknowledged that a young actress should not find herself alone with that creep. And women have been reporting him throughout the years, and he’s been settling civil suits all along the way.

Secondly, Rapp said Kspacey ‘carried him over to a bed and laid down on top of him’. He didn’t say Spacey forced any sexual contact or that Spacey kept Rapp from being successful in the industry as a result of Rapp declining what sounds like an inappropriate advance. Which, by the way, is only inappropriate because of the age of consent, because a 12 year age gap in and of itself is not that crazy. And that goes back to why TF was Rapp at that party?

So if Rapp is getting side eye for this, it’s because his allegation — which I again stress is not ‘facts in evidence’ — is really kind of disrespectful to the true horror of what is obviously systemic sexual harassment/abuse/coercion/assault. And the only accomplishment is that the entire cast and crew of House of Cards is now at a standstill while the dust settles on something that allegedly happened 30 years ago.

If it sounds like I’m kind of belittling what emotional trauma Rapp may have experienced, I kind of am. But I know exactly what being a victim of sexual abuse is like, and while I one hundred percent respect Evan Rachel Wood for her recent video statement, and I one hundred percent understand holding onto and not being ready to discuss your trauma or name your abuser, that just doesn’t seem like the situation here with Rapp.

Screen Legend: ah, now I get it. :)
    Screen Legend likes this.
  13. Clara Oswald

I absolutely hate thinking this way, but it really does seem like a D list actor trying to drum up some publicity.

14. Black Widow

Yeah, unfortunately it does. It's just very hard to take seriously, and has nothing to do with his gender and/or sexual orientation. If Rapp was female, I'd still have the same opinion.

Clara Oswald likes this.
  15. Black Widow

So now apparently some other guy has come forward and said he got groped by Spacey.

:mad: See what I get for trying to be fair to the accused party?

I can't even with Hollywood anymore.

16. Clara Oswald

I get you. I was even feeling like, "Well they should say innocent until proven guilty with Weinstein and not just fire him." in the beginning. Oh well.

Black Widow likes this.
  17. Black Widow

Well with Weinstein there’s been seriously like 3 decades of shit, so obviously he’s got a lot of history. It’s like sixty women or something. So that is probably the other end of the ‘give him the benefit of the doubt’ spectrum.

I mean yes, innocent until proven guilty, sure. But when the collective group becomes aware of a recurring problem, somebody ought to do something.

Now Rapp’s story has apparently been the catalyst for others to go public with their experiences. So if Spacey (or anyone really) was known to corner and grope people, WHY IS THE INDUSTRY TOLERATING BEHAVIOR LIKE THIS?!

18. Clara Oswald

Well yes, I agree about Weinstein, but right at the very beginning before all of this came out I was like, they shouldn't really be able to fire you without proof. lol

John Travolta repeatedly made inappropriate advances on my old boss, until the point where his wife had to step in and tell him off (lol). A lot of people with fame think the rules don't apply to them. And a lot of them certainly do have power to damage careers. Even me, working on a small scale - this dickhead who I worked with who was technically my superior made a comment about this producer being a cunt, and then turned around and told the producer I said she was a cunt. (Which I didn't.) I never got hired again by them.

But also, it's not just in Hollywood. We tolerate this behavior in many walks of life. Another of my old bosses when I worked in Finance had a girl in every city, and when people came in from out of town he tried to offer up our poor (sweet but naive) receptionist to them. People get away with it because they are in positions of power.

I can even see it here, where the females in our training programs which are like direct lines to director positions right out of the gate, are all skinny, cute young girls.

Carol Peletier and Black Widow like this.
  19. Black Widow

True. People can be awful. *shaking my head*

20. Clara Oswald

People suck :D That's why I avoid everyone but you people. Except for Brandi. :p

Carol Peletier and Black Widow like this.