1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sia Apologizes for 'Elastic Heart' Music Video

Discussion in 'Spin' started by Clara Oswald, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Clara Oswald

Clara Oswald Oswin! Staff Member Contributing Member

Good Morning America Video:

Seems to me like it's blown way out of proportion.

2. Persephone

Persephone Shadow and Light Staff Member

I agree. If people can't see that they're dancing and doing something interpretative, they're stupid. When I first saw the video I just thought it was weird. Then I rewatched it and it's really interesting and beautiful, especially towards the end. I think both Shia and Maddie did a fantastic job in the video.

People need to calm the hell down.

3. Clara Oswald

My niece knows Maddie, and she hasn't even blinked an eye at this.

4. Persephone

Good for her. It's pretty sad that an 11 year old can realize that this is only dance and everyone else can't.

What does your niece say about her in real life? Is she nice or a brat? lol. I've always wondered because sometimes on DM she's portrayed as a brat. But obviously it's reality tv so you take everything with a grain of salt.

5. Clara Oswald

From what I've heard from her she's nice, a regular kid. My niece is actually friends with Paige who I think used to be on the show and isn't anymore. She wasn't really into people noticing her for the show. She's a very nice, quiet girl.

My sister went to school with I think it was Kelly, and apparently she was a bitca.

Spencer Hastings likes this.
  6. Persephone

Aw that's good to know.

And yeah, Kelly has seemed like a giant bitch from the very beginning lol.

7. Rampage

Rampage I am a fucking god. Contributing Member

This video has two problems.

1) Most of the people who see it do not understand or appreciate interpretive dance. PERIOD. In order for that to be understood and appreciated we would have to value it here. We generally do not as evidenced by our curriculum choices in schools today.

2) The US has always had sexual hangup issues with prepubescent to teenaged girls. If you want to understand why people are freaking out, just remember that the Olson twins, Miley Cyrus, Raven-Symone and Ariana Grande all once had large adult male fanbases who were openly titillated by these (at the time) pretty but horribly underaged women doing asexual things. There used to even be sites that counted down until it was legal to have sex with them in a least a couple of the above cases. And more than a few guys would say things that one would find pretty disgusting to read even if the woman fantasized about were an adult. And they were all at the time children, some pretty freaking young.

This is not the fault of the video, this is the fault of our society. We have our own screwy hangups with things and then we place those hangups on videos or performers or events and we justify the madness by elevating momentarily the REAL victims of our hangups (in this case victims of paedophilia). In this case Sia is left apologizing not because her work was bad, but because people have conflated it with sex with children and in doing so have hurt real victims all over again.

In summation, we have work to do as a society.

8. Prophet

Prophet Aftershock Staff Member Contributing Member

I enjoyed the video but it did make me a little uncomfortable...but I think art SHOULD do that to some extent. I think it was meant to convey that kind of "tension". I think Maddie is just a super talented kid. I mean the "chandelier" video was incredible. Though I'm still not sure how I feel about a little girl in a flesh colored unitard.

9. Clara Oswald

TBH, I think it's a whole different story if she was doing something a la Wrecking Ball. What makes it okay for me is that they were both completely clothed.

10. Rampage

Of course nudity by either changes the way one could reasonably look at it. But I am not freaked out by it.

11. Rampage

Just looked at it without interruptions tonight. That was beautiful to me. Wow.

I hate that it is getting run through the mud. Someone actually makes a cool video and we take a shit on it. Typical humanity...

12. Persephone

The flesh colored unitard is used in a lot of interpretative dances because it doesn't distract from the dance and highlights the dancers body and movements. So I don't see a problem with it. *shrug*

13. Tribute

Tribute Rising Star

Oh wow, she apologized. How unnecessary. I saw the video recently and was blown away! By the skill level mostly but also the feelings it evoked. It's a real shame it seems to have gotten so largely misunderstood.

Spencer Hastings likes this.