1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Week 9: Killing Kelly King (1/19/14)

Discussion in 'The Six Discussion Group' started by Clara Oswald, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MorningStar Flash...bang! The Six Staff Member Contributing Member

Name:
    Delilah Trelaven
    Residence:
    New York City
    Ability:
    Transducing Light into Sound (and vice versa)
    Missions:
    It had been an extremely early morning of battle simulations, same sex kisses and a general feeling of exhaustion.

Goodbye Kelly King...

This week's playing threads are:

Sweet Dreams
    Endgame

Some possible jumping off points for discussion (feel free to answer some or none of these):

• Has Cameron really changed that much, or has only the perception of him by the other characters changed?
    • How does what happened with Erika when he was a toddler change Cameron, if at all?
    • Was Haleigh always the one pulling them together, making them a team?
    • IS Alison an Enabler for Morgan?
    • WTF is with the Predator appearing?!!
    • Would Cameron really want his sisters’ powers? Would he trade them? Do they make them stronger than him?
    • Is Spellbinder just as insane as Kelly?
    • Should it really have mattered who killed Kelly?
    • Are there parallels between Morgan and Kelly?
    • Who was your favorite character in this group of threads?
    • What was your favorite thing about this group of threads?
    • What did you learn by re-reading that you didn't remember?

Feel free to add your own comments and pose questions to the others. Discuss!

2. Prophet Psychosis The Six Staff Member Contributing Member

Name:
    Cameron King
    Residence:
    New York City
    Ability:
    Telepathy, Psionic, Telekinetic, Empathy, Flash Premonition
    Missions:
    Just a nice quote from Shockwave I found in there :p

Has Cameron really changed that much or has only the perception of him by the other characters changed?

I think it's 50/50...I think he is a lot more RESPECTFUL now, but I also think it was a hard won battle...because really looking back...at least to me? Yes, Cameron was obnoxious and sassy and cheeky, but if you read the threads, he didn't just DO THAT for no reason...many of his words and such were REACTIONS to the way he was treated by Morgan and Alison. I mean these threads show Morgan at her worst and Alison just seems absolutely INCAPABLE of listening to her sister or even THINKING of the fact that her brother was in harm's way...granted she had "SEEN" The Inferno in these threads...but I think the thing that bothered me about all of this was that Alison was the one who left, and she may have had her reasons but at the end of the day she left her younger siblings to be tortured by their mother, and she is basically a COMPLETE bitch about it :haha:

I mean Erika was DAMN nice and accommodating to ALL of them...I liked her in these threads and I think she was a little long winded and I think the final battle and all that shit just fell apart in my eyes due to my inability to guide things how I saw them in my head...and Morgan and Alison just REFUSED to basically acknowledge that she could be of use...for no reason...other than they were both "psychotic" or "insane" lol. I think that was my struggle to with the character was that I tried to introduce a magickal character and she was just COMPLETELY alone lol...without the help of ANYBODY in the threads besides Haleigh lol..

I DID like Erika's telepathy spell...I liked how she called the corners and did a little ceremony and I liked her prayer to the Moon and such...I like the charmed edge that she has but she COULD have been more aggressive...she WAS a "little" pollyana as Morgan liked to point out at EVERY TURN :haha:

How does what happened with Erika when he was a toddler change Cameron, if at all?

It's a pretty passive thing actually..it just means that he has the capacity or ability for magick now, but Cameron as a character overall...REALLY will most likely never pursue or study anything of the kind as he kind of really has a problem with most magick users at a deep level. For awhile afterwards, he had a little bit of a magickal spin on his powers, like he was able to see ghosts and communicate with the dead and such, but this didn't last. He has always had a rather confusing and ever evolving power table lol...

Was Haleigh always the one pulling them together, making them a team?

Eh, for the most part yes. I think that was the really frustrating time for The Six because I honestly felt like Haleigh & Cameron WANTED to work with Morgan & Alison...I mean Cameron was OBVIOUSLY intrigued by the fact that he had a sister...and I think Haleigh just knew that the way to keep them the safest was to keep them from fighting EACH OTHER and focusing all that anger on something in unity, to create a bond. But Haleigh was usually trying to squash Ali and Morgan's bullshit :haha:

Would Cameron really want his sisters’ powers? Would he trade them? Do they make them stronger than him?

Cameron's life has basically told him that Women + Magick = VERY BAD THINGS. Part of him WAS jealous of Alison back in the day, but she also liked to POINT OUT a lot how much stronger she was then him and I think that's when the power tables started evolving because with Alison's powers, it made Cameron come off as a little redundant. But if you were to ask him NOW, I don't think he would want their powers. I think he COULD handle the responsibility that Harbinger has with her visions, but I think he feels content in knowing that there ARE situations that suit HIS skills and abilities, in ways that Alison couldn't do...so I think then yes? He was a little jealous, but now...nah!

Is Spellbinder just as insane as Kelly?

They were definitely going for it in those last two threads lol!
    Spellbinder's psychosis makes a lot more sense than Kelly's but hey..crazy is crazy LOL.

Should it really have mattered who killed Kelly?

I guess not really for the story, but I really did want Cameron to be the one or at least one of the King siblings to be the ones to kill them, for dramatic effect and for more closure.

Are their parallels between Morgan and Kelly?

I'm not so sure...I mean inheritenly Morgan is a lot stronger than Kelly...Kelly became who she was after the same manipulation that Erika experienced with Malice in her earlier days. More of this will come to light once alternate Kelly returns to the timeline, but I think Morgan is a lot stronger emotionally than Kelly for sure.

Who was your favorite character in this group of threads?

I really liked Haleigh and Erika.

3. Spellbinder Bitchcraft The Six Staff Member Contributing Member

Name:
    Morgan
    Residence:
    Limbo
    Ability:
    Stepping Discs; Flight ; Magick -Sorceress Supreme
    Missions:
    The perception of Cameron has indeed changed for most of the characters, but I don't think that would've been possible w/out the fundamental changes he's undergone since this story we're reviewing.

A character like Morgan, who despised men & was not easily trusting of anyone outside of her close knit circle, would not have the regard for Cameron she does TODAY if she sensed him to still be the "lowest form of man that slipped UP the evolutionary scale" :haha:

I maintain that when it comes to Cameron vs. Morgan & Alison- that was a collision doomed to create "the perfect storm." Morgan was already functionally psychotic when The Six began & as Alison became a more fleshed out character, she was shown to be hard, cold & homocidal. To have characters like those two collide with a manipulative sociopath? It was a match made in hell.

They fed off each other as they brought out the worst in each other. I can understand why Morgan & Alison despised Cameron & I can see why Cameron felt like he had to defend himself as best he could, BUT there came a point when He & Haleigh DELIGHTED in antagonizing Morgan. Somehow they KNEW Alison wouldn't be effected by what they were doing the same way, but Morgan was different & once they sensed that, they went all out & it cost THE SIX big time.

Alison prooved to be the person who unknowingly sewed the seeds of Erika's destruction, I think. Alison was not prepared to have her family falling out of the sky in her lap & that's just what happened as the Six opened & progressed. THEN to find out that her "long lost" sister was responsible fore erasing this from her memory w/ a spell to the point that she couldnt "SEE" it via her retro/precognition? For HER, this was an act of disrespect & AGGRESSION & i think that was what inflamed her brutal dismissal of Erika.

In theory, ALISON SHOULD have been the one to be able to pull the surviving King/Marble children together, but she couldn't. It just wasn't in her & she had no conscious interest either, given that she viewed Cameron as though he were a slimey eel & now she had to contend with Glenda the Good Witch? :haha:

We know Alison left home @ an EARLY age, & that prior to that, she had had to protect Cameron from their abusive mother by FIGHTING Kelly, literally. Erika managed to erase all of this from her memory & now, after having made a life for herself & having a close knit circle, here they are? For her, @ that time, there was no way she could adjust & sadly, even if she could, she simply wasn't willing.

Malice definitely did a number of all of Kelly's children. Alison was cold, hard & homocidal; Cameron was antagonistic, manipulative & a sociopath ; Kelly was a people pleaser & over extended herself @ the expense of herself. They all represented extremes brought on by their individual attemps to cope & adapt.

But looking back @ this story & knowing what's happened since, it does seem sad & tragic. Erika was a tad annoying for my taste...but she had the potential to be a BALM to her sister & brother...but ALISON was just too far gone for that to be possible.

------------------------------

Cameron is similar to Blaze (particularly Firebird) in that he deviated from his sibling's power table but still had some mystical accents/potential. I think that will always be apart of him, just as it is shown to be apart of Firebird w/ regard to Spellbinder. But Firebird never had to endure such trauma @ the hand of magick users as Cameron so while she revels in the intrigue of the mystical accents to her nature, Cameron has only RECENLY been honest w/ himself & OTHERS about his deep seated prejudice AGAINST magick users in general. One can argue that this was apart of him from early on & what allowed him to be so GLEEFULLY nasty to Morgan & Alison.

-------------------------------

From the start, up to this particular storyline, Haleigh had had the most field experience as a field leader. While Morgan had also worked in a similar setting, her time with Valiant did her more harm than good & in this story, she was rapidly descending into madness. Delilah had the potential to be a binding force,but was still too new to the situation & clearly would err on the side of concern for Morgan, Alison & Blaze before the others on the team so, yes, Haleigh was the one most capable BUT I think she & Cameron fed off of each other's base instincts & made each other WORSE when it came to their antagonizing Morgan.

By herself, Haleigh seemed more tolerable, but w/ Cameron? She was just as infuriating if not WORSE than him in this story.

Her attempts to either pull everyone together OR rebuke Morgan &/or Alison came across very heavy handed...not a sign of good leadership @ all but under the circumstances of this story, all the subterfuge, manipulation & everything else happening? it's a wonder ANY of them was able to do anything :haha:

Haleigh has since shown herself to be a uniting force in the Six on so many levels. The Master Mold caper is a fine example of this :nod:

-------------------------------------
    Kelly King's legacy to her King/Marble children overall was the magickal gift of SIGHT. For Alison- a full fledged retrocog/precog; Cameron- flash premonitions; Erika- clarivoyance. Much like Christopher's legacy to his children was an affinity for one of the four elements.

I too think Cameron was jealous. Alison was VERY "together" with the manifestation & use of her powers. He even said this himself earlier on before this story. As far as their telekinetic manifestations went, Alison WAS stronger @ the time, but as Brandon said, both characters' power tables have changed through the years to suit them as they became defined as individuals & in more recent times, they've changed in subtle ways to compliment each other in their sibling dynamic, which they both celebrate more. Even their codenames, Prophet & Harbinger play off one another.

While Alison is still a powerful time mage, Cameron has definitely evolved into a more versatile psionic, allowing him to attack in more vicious ways similar to what his sister is known for :nod:

Earlier on in the Six, it was implied that Cameron was a disappointment to his mother b/c he was NOT a full fledged magick user & this, in part, lead to her abusing him as a child. It was suggested that b/c she as a magick user, it was expected that her progency would also be magick users & would service Mystech. Alison left/escaped her home under her own power; Erika managed to avoid this fate as well & Cameron was deemed as a disappointment. It's ironic that MORGAN was viewed the same way by her father b/c she she was a witch, even though Mystech was VERY interested in her, HE seemed to think BLAZE was the more important offspring due to her manifesting more of HIS genetic heritage. So there was something Cameron & Morgan had in common, being seen as a "disappointment" by one of their parents.

-----------------------------------

I think Alison was almost OVERWHELMED, between the revelation of her family- sister, brother & now mother & the growing visions of Spellbiner & the inferno? I think this was more than she was expecting & she was torn between dealing with a family that she frankly was happy to do without & the impending DISASTER that would be unleashed by someone she cared about & DID consider family. The precog was @ a loss! oh the irony. It seemed like she was tolerating or @ times enabling Morgan...but when she LEFT to get Ororo for assistance, she was thinking/moving two steps ahead, since already knew Kelly's fate was sealed.

Up to that time, she'd been defending her friend, trying to shut Cameron & Haleigh down, even warning them...but nothing was working. It made her think that KILLING THEM before wouldve been the right thing to do after all. To her, they were abusing Morgan & since she despised them, it wasn't until the VERY END that she began to see that Morgan was crossing a line that even SHE couldn't stand idly by & watch.

-----------------------------------

Oh yes, Spellbinder was DEFINITELY just as insane as Kelly. The REASONS for their insanity are vastly different but the end result LOOKED the same :haha: Kelly was actually ON to something though. She sensed the darkness in Morgan & under different circumstances, she might have been able to strike an unholy deal w/ Spellbinder to get back @ Christopher & /or Malice OR manipulate her until being her catspaw in an effort to destroy her children. But Kelly was never on Malice's level when it came to that kind of manipulation & control :haha:

Kelly & Morgan were on a collision course in this story & the King/Marble children were almost MINOR DETAILS @ one point, considering the fact that Morgan wanted to settle a score w/ Kelly from their last encounter during her timeon Valiant. It was hardly a case of "good vs evil" w/ those two. It was more like a "battle of the [insane] bitches" :haha:

---------------------------------------

Story wise, it was important for one of the King/Marble children to kill Kelly. Looking back on it...it's too bad we couldn't have pulled it off in a more Charmed- "power of 3" move w/ the three of them working in concert.

I remember BRANDON was DEAD SET on it being either Erika or Cameron, even though Alison was the one best suited to do it :p. He wanted Cameron to be redeemed & b/c Alison had spent so much time belittling him & making him out to be weak, he felt Cameron needed to be the one to end the threat of Kelly.

Spellbinder could have killed Kelly, but I think that would have taken away from the build up that Brandon had been trying to work toward & I'm actually GLAD he didn't want it that way b/c I enjoyed the "b plot" of Spellbinder transforming into her "Darkchild" persona, crossing the line of being there to HELP to being JUST AS MUCH OF A DANGER :nod:

--------------------------------------------

I think on the SURFACE it seemed Kelly & Morgan were similar or perhaps traveling the same path, but Alison could already see that Kelly was almost a "side show" ALREADY as her visions of the Inferno were becoming stronger & more clear. Kelly is from the same generation as Malice, Shadow Weaver & Enchantra & those three women stand STRONG in mainstream time. Kelly was broken down by a relentless Malice & in some ways regressed, which in turn, minimized her effectiveness & relevance.

Spellbinder generally was not easily controlled or manipulated, so that made her stronger than Kelly, but Kelly was a bit more adept @ deception, manipulation & subtlely than Morgan.

----------------------------------

I'll admit, that while I DID sometimes find her pollyana-esque routine to be ANNOYING :p I did like Erika back here in this story. Delilah was also a favorite of mine as was Blaze, once she & Alison had their urgent talk.

Overall, i think this story was a glimpse into the tragic legacy of the King/Marble family forever touched & tainted by Mystech & Malice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
  4. MorningStar Flash...bang! The Six Staff Member Contributing Member

Name:
    Delilah Trelaven
    Residence:
    New York City
    Ability:
    Transducing Light into Sound (and vice versa)
    Missions:
    Lol i think Delilah had like one post in these threads - we don't see her again until Violence for Profit when I picked her up.

5. Spellbinder Bitchcraft The Six Staff Member Contributing Member

Name:
    Morgan
    Residence:
    Limbo
    Ability:
    Stepping Discs; Flight ; Magick -Sorceress Supreme
    Missions:
    It doesnt matter to me :p :haha: that one post she did earlier in this story, totally neutralizing Haleigh's system laser grid & the way she came across while doing was epic enough! :D

6. Prophet Psychosis The Six Staff Member Contributing Member

Name:
    Cameron King
    Residence:
    New York City
    Ability:
    Telepathy, Psionic, Telekinetic, Empathy, Flash Premonition
    Missions:
    I liked that too LOL! :haha:

I also miss when Cameron was less discerning with using his powers on people...He straight up just went for it and TOOK control of Delilah's body, possessing her! That is such a MALICE thing to do!

Yeah...looking back? THIS is The Six at their ABSOLUTE worst. It was at the HEIGHT of their disdain for each other and with what's coming up? The INFERNO was the thing that kind of showed them... "Okay, we can't keep doing this to each other." Basically it took Haleigh, Blaze and Cameron DYING for them to be like "Eh...Truce!" :haha: